The Opequon Presbyterian Church Cemetery is full of history and memories and has been a place of peace and remembrance for many people. The burials and gravestone inscriptions connected with Opequon Presbyterian Church will probably always be a “work in progress”. Early records either were not kept by the church or have been lost forever. Many of the gravestone markers are in excellent condition today and are easy to read. Other stones are broke, worn or otherwise damaged and no legible characters remain to give us a clue to their history. Many other markers, as well as the stone walls that once surrounded some of the burial grounds, were destroyed or removed during the Civil War.
The Burial Grounds
There are five burying grounds at Opequon Church. Thses are described briefly in the PDF below and in greated detail in the 1996 publication by C. Langdon Gordon, “The Old Burying Grounds of Opequon Presbyterian Church”.
- Burying Ground #1
- (1736-1799) Adjacent to the north wall of the sanctuary; extends 45 feet northeard adn 40 feet westward
- Burying Ground #2
- (1745-1904) Largest and most prominent; Northeast of the sanctuary; contained within the black iron fence
- Burying Ground #3
- (1790 – 1860) About 10 feet south-southwest of the present sanctuary south wall; about 30 feet by 35 feet
- Burying Ground #4
- (1804 – 1866) 200 feet east of Burying Ground #2; in open field near large tree
- Burying Ground #5
- (1905-1938) Extreme south end of Opequon Church grounds: about 20 feet by 40 feet in area
Detailed History and Information
For a more detailed history and information on the grave stones that have been recovered and recorded please view this document of the Opequon’s Burial Grounds as researched by the Daughters of the American Revolution, circa 1970s.